It is only appropriate that I post about our trip to Midway, Utah for my Grandparents 60th wedding anniversary in August now because my Grammy passed away last Saturday, October 2nd. She was fighting breast cancer for the THIRD time and all just hoped she would live for the celebration with her family in August because she loved having her family together and she loved a good party. I am so grateful I was able to see and spend that time with her in August. It is not easy being one of the only grandchildren away and to have not seen her on a regular basis for the last 4 years. Grandparents and especially grandmothers are such special people and we almost don't realize it until they are close to leaving this earth. Second to my parents and own mother, my Grandma gave me the foundation for a testimony of Jesus Christ, that I am a daughter of God, with divine nature, and all the responsibilities during this earth life that come with those blessings.
I was able to be in Utah last week for the funeral for 48 hours, sans Brent and Brooke. It was an incredible blessing and a wonderful spiritual experience to be there and help pay tribute in a small way to her life and the person she was. My grandparents have given us such rich heritage provided through many traditions and an example through living beautiful, Christlike lives. I am so proud to be a part of the family that I am and I know that my siblings and all of my cousins feel the same way. And along this note, I am the only one of my grandma's posterity that carries on her name, 'Elen.' Also the reason why it was so important to me for Brooke to have this middle name. One of the wonderful parts about the gospel and what we believe in the plan of Salvation is that while death is difficult and hard for us to deal with, what wonderful comfort we find in the knowledge that we will see these loved ones again. And not only that but we have their entire life to use as a pattern for how we should live our lives. If there was one thing I took back to Texas with me, it would be to live as Christlike as my Grammy Elen did. Thank you Grammy for your example and love!
1 comment:
What a beautiful post, Bethany. Your Grandma seems like such a sweet person and a valiant one in battling breast cancer three times! Thanks for sharing!
Post a Comment