Sunday, July 06, 2008

Airplane Bathrooms

I have never thought much of an airplane bathroom. In fact, I try my very hardest to make sure I use the restroom in the aiport before boarding the plane, in order to avoid the bathrooms on an airplane. Plus, the last time I did end up having to use them, which was strictly out of emergency, I could not get out. I am serious! I guess I was confused at the "pull" sign from the inside. I know it seems ridiculous but I really could not get out and Brent was outside the door standing behind a lady who was waiting for me laughing his guts out because he knew what was going on on the other side of the door when he saw it shaking back and forth. That's a different story, though. Anyways. Yesterday, Brooke and I took the 2 hour and 45 minute flight to Texas. She has flown about 8 times in her short life and this was the worst of them all! Twenty minutes into the flight, she went #2. And not only did I know it, but most of the people around me knew it. Why? A) the (obvious) smell and B) oh.. ya know, just the loud grunting for about 5 minutes before the "stuff" finally came. And I'm so glad the teenage girl sitting next to me thought it was so funny that she had to text her friend about it. Which at that point, I thought, "don't we turn cell phones off inflight?" Ugh. So, what was I left to do? Go and change the sick diaper, of course.. in the airplane bathroom-DEATH! First thought: "Let's just hope I can change the diaper without getting "poop" everywhere, oh and that I don't get stuck in there with a baby!!" We went in, I proceeded to make her a pillow out of 20 papertowels, and she still hit her head when I layed her down on top of the toilet seat (sick!). I took off the diaper, surveyed the damage, wiped as quickly and efficiently as possible, all while the look on her face said, "Mom, you have no idea what you're doing and I'm really uncomfortable. Well, before I could wipe it all off, move the dirty diaper, she had flipped over and stood up. Great. Now there was "poop" on my arms, her leg, she was standing (barefoot) on an airplane restroom toilet seat and starting playing with the GARBAGE dispenser! Could she have been more exposed to terrible germs and diseases at this point??? Yes, she could of and here's why: She went "#1" all over the toilet seat, and it ran down onto the floor. Oh and then she starting sliding around in it in her barefeet. Worst nightmares had come true. I did my best to clean off her "#1" and then stuffed the 40 paper towels I had used at that point plus her dirty diaper in the trash. I tried washing her feet and legs off in the sink with soap but it wasn't long before she started splashing around everywhere with her arms. Main objective at this point: get her dry, make sure the pee is cleaned off the toilet seat, and get the heck out of that airplane bathroom. Mission accomplished. And in case you were wondering: we did make it out of the bathroom with no trouble using the handle that time. Thank heavens.
P.S. We are happily in our new house and went to church today. It was lovely and it feels great to be here. Exciting times to come as we start this new stage in our lives!

14 comments:

Karen said...

I just laughed through that whole crazy story and I feel so bad! I'm a terrible friend! Isn't it amazing how the impossible can happen?! I'm glad you survived your flight! And how exciting to be in your house!

Tristen said...

Wow... or I should say UGH!!! Isn't being a parent sick sometimes?? She is so hilarious, thank for sharing that story. I am so so so glad that you made it safely and happily, I feel so grateful that your transition is close to over and you can start your fun new lives! But I also feel so sad because I feel like we've been missing you for a long time, and now it's kind of official. Ugh... :) Have a GREAT week and keep us posted about life after a paycheck!

Becca said...

I too like Karen was laughing the whole time I read your post! It reminded me of a time Kaiyah did the same thing but at the airport during a layover and she blew out of her entire outfit. It happened right as I needed to board the plane.

Anyway, I want to see pics of the house!!

Anonymous said...

Oh Bethany I'm so sorry. That really is quite horrendous! I'm sure Brooke just had a great time though. The joys of motherhood go on and on.

Les said...

Oh Beth!
I laughed through the whole post, only because I can totally, completely relate. I am so sad we missed you while you were up here (and for such a long time-how lame!) but I sure enjoyed hearing about all of your adventures while in k-town and Mexico, etc. I am so, so glad you guys made it to your new HOUSE. Awesome!! I can't wait to see pictures of it. Send/post them when you can! Love you guys!!!

Addie May said...

Holy cow that was so funny! I was laughing my head off! I realize it wasn't funny at the time...but hopefully you can laugh about it now. It was SO good to see you on the 4th of July (finally!) Thanks for coming to see me. I'm glad you're now safely home with your hubby!

Vicki said...

Oh Bethany!!!! That has to be a classic story that you will have to share many times with Brooke when she gets older. I am so grateful that you are all in San Antonio and all is well. I am looking forward to hearing all about it from Kirt tonight.

Britney said...

Hilarious!!!!

Aren't you glad things like this happen to you...so you can tell your friends "guess what happened to me"!

What a funny and memorable flight!

A similar thing happened to me with Ava. Changed her diaper, on our seat, next to a man with no kids, get diaper and pants on...only to find out there is poop all over Ava's clothes, my arms and the plane seat! Sick!

Bug said...

That is one great story. I am a germaphob too when it comes to public bathrooms, and especially my baby. I am so proud of you though for making it through. Congrats on being in your new house! I am so excited for you guys. You'll have to let us know what you think of Texas. We close on our house in August and can't wait to be on our own again!

Shelly said...

Oh my gosh! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Yuck! I thought it was hilarious too though. I'm glad you're into your new home. I hope the unpacking, etc. goes well.

Amy Louise said...

CACKLE CACKLE! That was me while reading of your adventures in babyland! Can you believe what we as parents have to do????? I was just telling John tonight that parents, and particularly mothers, SHOULD be the most respected people on the planet for some of the horrific things we go through! Way to go sis--you made it--AND you've topped me for crazy airplane stories. :)

Unknown said...

Oh Bethany! That sounds like a total nightmare but it was hilarious and I was totally laughing while reading it!!! There are some really GREAT things we get to do as moms, right?!? I am glad you guys made it there, and I hope that you are doing well!

Nicole and Andy said...

Beth,
That is soooo funny! I totally saw the whole thing in my mind. Can I get your new address? I need to thank you officially for the cute outfit you gave me!

Kacie said...

Oh my gosh Bethany, That IS a worst nightmare come true. I just made the same trip on Monday and of course I had to change a diaper. I go up to the bathroom, and the flight attendant rudely tells me to go to the other bathroom cause your not supposed to stand there in front of the bathroom and wait. I asked her if there happened to be a changing table in them, cause I think some of them do even though I have yet to see one in those tiny bathrooms. And the dumb lady tells me that the easiest place would just be my lap. Um no thanks, first of all, I barely even had enough room to get out of my see let alone let all those people around me watch me wipe a baby bum all over the place. what a nightmare. That was the worst flight for me, she whined the WHOLE time, and was in tears when I got off the plane. of the 6 times I have flown with her, I have done all of them by myself. I hate flying.
Oh can't wait to hook up with you soon. call me when you guys get all settled.