Monday, August 11, 2008

Dear Grandparents of Brooke,

(and anyone else that loves this little girl).. some pictures for you!
At the Nordstrom sale a few weeks ago. We put these on her and she kept them on for quite awhile. Oh.. so cool.

Eating ravioli. I put my hands on my cheeks and said, "Oh no, Brookie, you are a mess!" She totally mimicked me and Brent got a snapshot of it.

Her first pigtails! Yes, there really is hair in them. I think she looks so grown up here.

One of my favorite things about moving to Texas that has made the adjustment easier is our neighborhood pool. And every subdivision has one! We've been every Saturday since we moved. She loves it. I probably love it even more. And Brent needs the vitamin D after being indoors 40+ hours a week.

And lastly for today's update: my weekend obsession. I'll explain. Our ward has a food co-op. Here's how it works: if you want to participate drop $10 and a laundry basket off at the person who is in charge that time. They order big bulks of produce and divide it among everyone doing it. And the fun part is, you never know what you'll get! We got A TON of great stuff for only ten dollars, including lots of delicious, ripe mango. What better way to use it than in this recipe:

STICKY RICE WITH MANGO:

(Not my photo but a very pretty one, nonetheless.) Please make this. It is so easy and you're life will never be the same! Recipe is below.

1 c. uncooked soft Jasmine rice

1/2 tsp. salt

1 can coconut milk

2/3 c. sugar

1 mango

(only 5 ingredients!)

Cover rice with cold water and rinse. Repeat until water runs clear, about 3 times and drain. In a medium saucepan bring 1 3/4 cups of water to a boil. Add the rice and stir briefly. Reduce heat to a low simmer and cover. Cook for 20-25 minutes or until the water is absorbed. In a saucepan, combine coconut milk, sugar and salt. Boil for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Pour the boiled coconut milk into the cooked rice. Stir well. Cover top of rice directly with wax paper or aluminum foil. Let rest for 30 minutes at room temperature. Peel the mango and cut into slices or squares. Spoon the rice or scoop with an ice cream server onto a serving platter and decorate with mango slices.

13 comments:

Bug said...

I love the pictures of Brooke. Isn't it fun to have her as the center of attention! Oh, sorry about the running out of gas thing too. That is actually one of my fears, any sort of car problem because I know I would come across as the stupid girl who didn't know how to help herself. I would like to think that I could change my own tire though. I've done it before, but just in my driveway when I was a teenage with my Dad watching.

Tracie said...

Bethany,
I am so glad that I found your blog. I love all the cute pictures of that adorable Brooke. We had a great time with y'all the other night. Randys parents are in town this week, but we would love to get together again!

Nicole and Andy said...

Beth, Brooke is such a cutie! Her blue eyes are going to be trouble in her dating years! :) Can i get your new address?

Lauren said...

Great pics of the Brookie Bear! I love the pigtails. It's so fun when you can play with their hair. I am intrigued by this produce co-op idea... when it's your turn, where do you 'order' these large quantities of produce? I assume you co-op because it's cheaper in large bulk? Tell me more! :)

Trent and Steph said...

Brooke is so cute. It is amazing how fast they grow up. I am glad you are liking Texas.

Mindy said...

Such cute Brooke pictures! How is she already that big?

I'm so glad you're liking TX! And with a food co-op how could you not? I'm totally going to try that recipe. Thanks for sharing!!!

We miss you guys!

Karen said...

Brooke does look big... and she's so cute! I'm so glad you like Texas... it really does give me hope about wherever I end up living! And I gotta know more about your food co-op... we totally need to be doing that here!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

Yummmm!!! I am TOTALLY going to make this ASAP! Thanks for sharing.

We had fun playing with you girls today! I'm thinking I will start the baby playgroup the first week in September, once my family is gone and when it is a little cooler. Can't wait! Have a great trip...:)

Britney said...

Ohhh, I love the pig tails! What a little dolly!

We are missin you guys! Weird that you're not here anymore...and that you've moved on?!

grammielou said...

The best thing about that post is seeing Brent at the Nordstrom Sale! What a guy, what a husband, what a father! I loved the post and I love all of you

grammielou said...

Also, what a great idea to have a neighborhood coop. I wanna do that. I need more info. HOw does it work? Where do they go? How many people are involved?

grammielou said...

The pigtails are darling

Bethany said...

Dear everyone that asked about the co-op:

I am trying to get all the info on how they do it! I'll get back to y'all.

-Bethany