Thursday, August 07, 2008

The words that I ate today.


I ate some words today that I said a few months back to Brent. We were laughing about how my Mom had run out of gas on I-15 in Utah with my grandma (sorry that we laughed at you Mom!) and that she said she didn't know what to do because she had never run out of gas. I said to Brent... and this is probably a direct quote, "I don't think I will ever run out of gas - in my whole life. Nope. Not me!" In fact, I even have secretly prided myself in seeing how long I can drive once the gas light has already gone on. What can I say? That's just me for ya. Well, people, obviously I was humbled at that today because I ran out of gas a 1/2 mile from our house! I had groceries and a crying Brookie-bear, it was 105 degrees outside and SO humid. For a second I panicked. Can you believe that I actually panicked? I can't believe it now and this happened only an hour ago. I mean it's not like the pioneers didn't WALK miles each day in this kind of weather CARRYING their babies. Obviously I was not cut out to be born in that time period. Luckily there is a woman in our ward that lived just around the corner, who had just happened to trim my bangs an hour earlier! I should have payed her more because she watched Brooke and let me drive her car to go and get our other car (luckily Brent carpools to work and this is not his week to drive!) and switch everything in it. Now the altima is sitting on the street with hazard lights on while Brooke sleeps and I sit here blogging about it. Hope Brent gets here in time to go and get it before the city tows it!!!

7 comments:

Eric and Hilary said...

Oh no! I would be so stressed out too! You're so lucky that woman lived close enough to walk to! I ran out of gas once driving back from a dance or temple trip or something with some friends. we all walked in our skirts and high heels to a gas station to get gas and when we got back to the car we didnt have enough! hahahah we had to call my dad to come get us. what a disaster.

Jenae said...

Ok...I am laughing hard because I have actually run out of gas on the side of the road like 3 times!! I don't know how it happens to me frankly. I cannot imagine it happening with a crying baby and in that kind of weather; it sounds like you handled it really well! I love it!

Alyssa Griffeth said...

You poor thing!! I'm glad everything worked out though! :)

Unknown said...

That's hilarious Bethany! I have come way too close a couple of times... hopefully it never actually happens!

Jim, Shelley and Shelbie Lynn said...

Hope you didn't have any frozen groceries. I've done that too. With a dog in the car, on the freeway. Try walking a dog close on a leash with trucks rolling by, that was no fun. Sounds like you handled it well. I bet Brooke's Mommy will check her gas before leaving home again.. Can't wait to see you guy's. Let's give us more bloggs to read please( not as much time in between Thanks ok).Love ya, see ya, bye. Shelley

grammielou said...

I thought the same as Shelley. What about the groceries!?

Mindy said...

What a great story Bethany! And I had to laugh (WITH you not AT you) about panicing 1/2 mile from your house. Hey, I'd panic if I had to be in 105 degree weather at all!