This post is a post that reveals candid thoughts and feelings by me (Bethany).
I've been a little homesick tonight. Homesick not necessarily for "home," because Texas is my home now but for people, places, family and friends that are more familiar and that know me well. Some of the friends that I have been missing lifted my spirits tonight. I was able to talk to a couple of them on googletalk, and they'll never know how much better they made me feel! Even though thousands of miles separate us, I'm able to communicate with old friends online and they encourage me and tell me that everything will be ok. We've moved and are settled but I am realizing more than ever now what a huge component the emotional part of moving can be (again, candid). It's hard to come to a new place and know no one, and no one knows you or anything about you and start all over. Has anyone ever felt like this? To me, it's no fun at all! Harder this time than the last for some reason. Harder than I hoped it would be (sorry, still candid). But thanks to great girls who are now "old friends" (only in the sense that our friendship is already established and they know me), who have encouraged me that - gosh darn it, I'm good enough and "new friends" will come as I give it time. I love it and I feel refreshed to start a new week here in San Antone. Thanks, girls, you know who you are. :)
9 comments:
You are too cute. You will make good new friends soon, but yes, it does take time.
You are such a nice person and so beautiful, inside and out! You were the one to help me with my transition...and you did a great job! I hope you can find 'your Bethany' there soon, to help you :)
I'm glad we could 'chat' tonight too! We miss you here!
Hang in there!! I had a very difficult time when we moved to Oklahoma. Everything you were saying hit home because I felt the same way. You are amazing and in time you will have a great group a friends to support you. Meanwhile you still have your old friends to carry you through.
I know exactly how you're feeling. For the first few (several) months after moving here I would lay in bed at night and just feel so out of place. I felt like I was on vacation and I was just waiting to go home. But then I had to remind myself that this was my home.
It really does get better. Every day this will feel more and more like home and they people here will become "your people", the ward "your ward", etc.
I knew I was over it all when I went "back home" to California and after a week and a half I was ready to come back to my "real home" Texas. Hang in there and let me know if I can help in any way.
We've lived here for almost 7 months and I still feel that way most of the time. It didn't help that I was put into the primary right away either. With family so far away, we really rely on friendships. I've just learned that I have to go the extra mile to put myself out there. Which you are doing great job of, by the way. Eventually the weirdness of being the "new kid" will go away and everything will feel a little more comfortable. Totally off the subject, but how's the painting going?
I love ya, girl!
I think we've all been there at one point or another in our lives so you're definitely not alone. The point is that it gets better and you'll never even remember how hard it was.
Keep smilin'! :)
Sounds like you've got a great group of gals to get you through-- no matter where you are. You ARE fantastic and I am sure that it will only get better and better for you! Let me know if there is anything that I can ever do. And BTW, you guys can ALWAYS stay with us when you come to town. I just heard that you were looking a couple of weeks ago-- next time just know we are here:) Skip the gross hotel!
There is something about old friends that really does feel homey.
I'm with Kelly... why did you stay at a hotel again?? Don't even think about doing that again, and we'll know because we'll hear about it on your blog. I'm so sad because I was out of town so I was super-behind on my blog reading and I am sad I wasn't the friend to cheer you up!!
I think that feelings like you expressed are completely normal-- especially for a new move and now a husband with a job. You can know that we know all about you and we still love your guts to pieces, so it's not YOU-- it's just moving!
But more than 100 times since you moved I've said to myself or Ken or anyone who will listen, "I'm so sad that Bethany moved." It's just not Berkeley without you guys. I'm serious.
I hope you are already feeling less like a fish out of water! But if it makes you feel any better, maybe we're all always feeling a little bit that way!?
You are such a great person Bethany and once you let people see that you'll have a ton of friends like you had here in Berkeley! Just keep putting yourself out there :)
Post a Comment