Monday, October 06, 2008

Hey Y'all - it's fall!

I know that you already know it is fall but I use every chance I get to say "y'all." I thought before we moved to Tejas that people here would say it everywhere I went. Truthfully: i don't really ever hear anyone say it. Ok - good. Now that we have that over with.

Playing has become a necessity in this household. It sounds vague and generic, and most of you probably think I don't even know what I'm talking about because we have one kid, but I'll explain. Brooke is learning that she loves to Go-Go-Go! In between naps and when Brent gets home, she is totally an energizer bunny. She has become the queen of the house because she takes over every room, drawer and cupboard before I can catch her! Because of this, you will often find us at the park in the evenings because I usually have to get us all out the door into fresh air to help her get her energy out. I can't imagine what she'll be like in a year from now! It is rare that I get really great pictures of her anymore because she won't hold still long enough to actually look. Although there is one great one in this post. But the point is, it's October and still so hot and warm in the evenings here. And I really don't miss the typical fall weather that I'm used to. This is the new fall to me, and I'm ok with it.
Brent is still so tan... see?

We love hangin out with this happy little girl, Olivia. We got to watch her on Saturday and it was fun and interesting to watch Brooke's reaction. Also, a short 5-hour insight to two kids. Although, I'm sure not close to the real thing! And no, I am not alluding to ANYTHING. Thank Heavens.

This is what she begs for all day long. She just wants to drink, drink, drink. I have to hide this hospital mug of mine or she whines until she gets it.

Notice HER sippy cup to the side on the floor? ARGH.

A few weeks ago, we moved on to the next room and painted the kitchen!

It took me a few days, but now I really love it. It looks MUCH more yellow in this picture than it really is. It is actually very subtle and closer to a cream color in natural light.

I have been baking like crazy lately! Last wednesday I made bread, 7 dozen muffins to freeze for breakfast for the next several months, and pumpkin butter. Can't get enough of it and I have seriously got to calm it down because my thighs do not need this! And I know I'm lame for taking pictures of my food but I've got to have something to keep myself busy here don't I? Just love me for who I am. Thanks.

Here's the apricot caramel crunch cake I posted about awhile ago.

And I made bread for the first time! Yes, I should have known how to do this long ago, but I just never have! The result: hey it turned out, isn't that good enough? Actually, it was pretty good, but the texture was not perfect. Good thing I have years ahead of me to perfect it.

Our friend, Tyler, from Berkeley was in town and stayed the night in our guestroom. He is a very close friend of Brent's and we loved having him here! In fact, they are going to train together long distance to run the St. George marathon in '09 which is exactly one year from this past weekend! Shouldn't be hard for them to get in since Brent's Dad runs the marathon.

Watching General Conference this weekend was the best part of this fall season. I have been looking foward to it for some time and I always cry when it's over because it's so wonderful to be that uplifted for two days! It has brought a stronger spirit into our home that I will be responsible for keeping and upholding. Our world is changing and there are difficult things taking place, most of which we have no control over. But the gospel of Jesus Christ will ALWAYS be a constant. The lord will always carry us through trial and tribulation as we are obedient and righteous because he is bound to do so. Isn't that an amazing blessing that we have? The work will continue to move forward as evidenced by 5 new temples, one of which in Rome, Italy was music to Brent's ears and so exciting for him to hear! My testimony was strengthened and I feel a greater resolve to be a more patient and loving wife and mother, more fervent in my prayers and scripture study, stronger in my faith and hope, more open in my attempts to share the gospel, and especially more thankful to a Heavenly Father whom I know loves me, knows me and is watching over and taking care of me and my family. Do you know all of these things to be true in your life? If not, I urge you to! The sweet peace of the gospel is the best joy that any of us can feel in this life, and I am so glad to feel it.

Happy Fall, Friends.

8 comments:

emily w. said...

You are so cute Bethany. I'm so glad we're neighbors, and friends :)

Tristen said...

Welcome to energizer bunny-land, we've been waiting for you!! I laughed about your saying that it is lame to take pictures of your food because I just used my camera to document each step of making Chicken Parmigiana... it was my first time and I just thought the ingredients looked so cool. Not sure what to do with the pictures...

I miss you EVERY time you post, I wish you were here enjoying fall with us and our crazy kids!! We wish we could have seen Brookie (and you) in this stage!! Remember when we came to your house when Avery was Brookie's age? I kept looking at Brooke and asking myself-- why does everyone else get the perfect children? She was ALL OVER your house! Keep posting!

Britney said...

This is a great post!

Yes, I second Tristen with the 'welcome to energizer bunny-land'!!! It never ends from here on out :)

Will you post your recipe for pumpkin butter? I crave EVERYTHING pumpkin this time of year and that sounds delicious!

I hope someday we will be able to see your place in Texas! It looks perfect and so fun.

Congrats on the bread making! Oh and how can you freeze a million muffins? Do you have another freezer...if so...I'm SOOOOOOO jealous! I miss my second freezer everyday!

Jordan Frazier said...

Sounds like you are doing so good Beth! I am glad. Brooke is so so cute and your house looks beautiful!

Addie May said...

Yeah, you just wait, Beth. Energizer bunny will only get worse! It's so fun though, and it looks like Brooke is doing so well. She looks like a happy little baby. Congrats on your bread, that is something that I don't even dare try. I LOVED conference too, it always uplifts me. love ya!

Lauren said...

I am going to have to try that cake, yummy! I agree about the pumpkin butter recipe--do share. And where did YOU get your green curtains? I am actually making some green ones for my kitchen but the ones you have would have been great!

Les said...

Hi Beth! I have to add in my welcome to eb-land. It's just so true!! Just like you said, you try and clean up the mess they made in the drawers and while you're doing that they pull everything out of the cupboards and while you're cleaning that up they're climbing up on the table....on and on and on. It makes me tired to think about it again! But it is fun at the same time, isn't it? And sometimes I think the crazies are so good to laugh at. Sometimes I think I'll be so mad, but as soon as I look at Caleb, I either start laughing (okay, occasionally I have to have a little cry on those really tough days!).
Your cake looks awesome! It's as beautiful as the picture you posted before. I really want to try out that recipe...I'll have to think of some folks to share it with. And I'm so glad you guys are enjoying your new fall!
I love fall myself, and I feel like it's slipping by so quick!

Vicki said...

Bethany I appreciate your words concerning conference and how uplifted you were. I felt the same way. I am grateful for you and for Brent and for our beautiful little Brooke. Tell Brooke her little girl cousin is anxious to be with her again.