Monday, October 20, 2008

I have some questions

HELLO. It's Monday afternoon and we had a nice weekend. Brent had to work on Saturday (but he gets this friday off) so Brooke and I laid low, as usual. Did some more painting, got $60 in free groceries that Brent won at work, enjoyed sleeping in on Sunday and Stake Conference in the afternoon, and talking to our families via Skype and video chat (our new favorite Sunday night pastime). Monday is never my favorite day, though. Honestly - I'm having a hard time getting going! So, some questions...

1) Is it usual for your house to be a disaster after the weekend? This is common for us. And it's weird because I usually clean on Saturday but something about Sunday just creates messes EVERYWHERE. Come Monday morning - I'm not in the greatest mood when I wake up to it!

2) What is your method to menu planning and how do you choose to make dinner? I have a sister in law who puts her monthly menu on the fridge. I have a friend who does it twice a month. My sisters and I used to send our weekly menus to each other and it was great because it was all laid out, grocery list, recipes, and all. Also, how often do you try new recipes? Or are you a comfortable enough cook that you have enough "go-to" meals for your family or are you constantly trying new things?

3) Is it normal for me to be exhausted from one 15 month old and get tired just from cleaning up after her? Is she just really messy and busy or am I a total WIMP here?! Sometimes I feel like I clean up the exact same mess 5 times a day - no exaggeration here. I can't believe I used to worry as much as I did about a clean house before we had a child! I suppose you could say I'm looking for some validation. :)

4) We have a few fun Halloween events that we could potentially dress up for? We aren't really BIG into dressing up, but I think it could be fun. Brooke is going to be a ladybug. Any ideas for what Mr. Brent and I could be?

OKAY! I realize there are a lot of questions up there! Answer any that apply, all if you have some fab ideas for me, or none if you're as tired as I am on this Monday afternoon.

8 comments:

jkhuber said...

In response to your first question, I have a question in return... Is it usual for a house to be a disaster EVERY day?

#2- I don't meal plan because I don't always feel like eating what I have planned for that day. I keep the staples on hand for all of our "go to" meals, but try a few different things each week.

#3- You are a total wimp! Just kidding! Just wait until you add to your brood and you clean up the same mess 1000 times a day. Lots of fun!

#4- I'm not much help in the costume department. We've tried some things in the past, but usually end up being party poopers.

The Pickled Red Herring said...

1 - OH my gosh, I thought it was just me who couldn't keep up with my house on weekends! I'm glad it isn't. I do spend all day cleaning on Saturday but somehow it is an utter catastrophe zone, and I am overwhelmed by Monday. Honestly I think it has something to do with everyone being home at once.

2 - I just barely planned out my menu today for the next 2 weeks, which is definitely a first for me (I usually don't even plan 24 hrs. in advance). Um we'll see what happens with that. Usually I keep a pantry full of the basics (but then end up running out last-minute for one or two ingredients). I just discovered some recipe blogs that are AWESOME; also kraftfoods.com is pretty great. I usually try new recipes mostly when someone else recommends one to me; if I pick one without a testimonial it is usually not that great. Lately I've felt like I am falling apart at the seams and can never get it together, but at our last RS activity someone brought up FlyLady.net (which apparently we had a whole segment on at our last enrichment mtng., which I missed) which is all about organization. She's kind of intense, but I did find some great ideas. Um that was kind of in response to #3 also. I feel EXACTLY the same - exhausted all the time and I can't figure out how these two little people can take so much out of me! I'm bigger and stronger! Right? Oh, but I DO clean up the same mess 5 times a day. Literally. My friends say they just leave it and then clean the house ONCE at the end of the day, but I can't live in a total mess for a whole day and then have it start all over again the next day. I even have nightmares where I'm cleaning and cleaning and the house just keeps getting messier. No joke.

4 - Halloween! I think that you should be a flower. Not so sure about Brent - I know guys don't like to dress up as much, so I try to think of "boring" costumes for the dad. (Last year we were farmers & Kate was a chicken.) This year I have actually convinced Travis to be Goldilocks. (We will be 3 bears.) I kid you not. Um... maybe Brent could be a gardener? Still working with the theme here. I don't know. But I miss you guys!!!

Trent and Steph said...

I have finally given up on keeping my home clean from my little one. It wasn't worth cleaning up after home every second of the day. I always make sure my house is clean when I first get up, but after that I try not to worry too much about it. I let it stay mess until he goes down for a nap in the afternoon and while he is down I will straighten everything up and then again right before or after I put him to bed. That way I'm not trying to clean up after him every second and I get to enjoy him a little more. It took me a long time to do this though, because I am an extremely clean freak

For the dinner part I can’t really help you out. Trent and I both work full time and by time I get home. I don’t feel like cooking. So, we always have a frozen meal or cereal. I know it sounds kinda sad. If I had time and was home more I probably would cook.

shayla said...

Your post about your parents and seeing pics of Rachel & Seth made me miss the Ogdens!!!! But we got to see them this weekend...super fun, MISS THEM dearly! They are truly one of the reasons we go back to visit.

haha so true on your the first comment's #1--if my house is clean for one afternoon.. after my cleaning lady leaves, It's a JOYOUS day. JUST WAIT! It never gets better. But at least I know under all the messes are clean floors and clean toilets. Especially when the kids are SO close together and having 6 doesn't help matters any.

2. Let's just say chickin dinos, mac & cheese, eggs, waffles, oatmeal, cold cereal....occasional homemade soup...menu planning, what???? I know, your mom would DIE. I've learned to give them what they'll actually eat. (yes, we still cook around here...we just don't menu plan anymore with soccer, football, scouts, piano lessons, violin, saxaphone, & activity days).

3. uh. I run circles around my kids ALL DAY LONG! You are not alone...and again, this one...never gets better! And when my nose is in the computer it's much much worse, but I do it anyway...why????? Sanity I suppose. Once she gets older...here's what ya do...sweep (well, our whole house is wood floors) all the junk to the center of the room and make a game out of putting it away. As long as you get it picked up/cleaned up at bedtime, you feel much better in the morning to start the cycle all over again!

4. You can both be smarty pants. Total cost..maybe $2. Pin packages of smarties all over your jeans....and you're officially the 'smarty pants' of the family! And then when you have the urge for a sugar rush---just eat off your pants:)

Lauren said...

Hi Bethany! I'll get in on the fun and answer your questions in order too.

1 & 3: I guess I have areas that get messy that I don't mind. Maddie makes a mess of her room, play area in the loft, and down the hallway, and I don't really care. I am like another commenter--I clean it up at naptime and bedtime (and try to get her help). The bottom floor (kitchen & living room) have to be tidy all the time or I go nuts! Luckily, Mike is a neat freak too and he helps keep things in order. I agree that I am grumpy when I wake up to messes. It is so worth the time to clean it up before bed!

2. I usually plan my meals right before I grocery shop, and try to get the food and plans to last about 6-10 days. It drives me crazy to make a million last minute trips--if I don't have an ingredient, I don't make it! If I plan 5 or 6 main dishes and buy lots of fruits and veggies, I can be flexible with side dishes and snacks. But I don't plan for every day because things always come up--eating out on weekends, going to a friend's house, etc. I love to try new recipes and am always on the lookout, and if they are good I add them to the 'tried and tested.' Most of the time I stick to what I know.

I think I already told you about Mike being a bee and me a butterfly when Maddie was a ladybug... Mike suggests Brent be an angel! ;)

Miriam Herm said...

our house is always ridiculous after the weekend, but lately i've been feeling a sort of desperation. how do women keep their houses clean at all? i'm in over my head here!

i plan out on sunday what i'm going to make and when and what i need for groceries. i have a list of things i know i can make and a bunch of recipes i'd like to try out. the recipes i'd like to try out don't make it to the list of things i know i can make until i know it can taste good and i've tweaked it till i think it's the most delicious it can be. :) i like the idea of swapping menu ideas.

it is totally normal. because now brooke is at the age where all she does is make messes.

i have no costume ideas because i hate dressing up (no fun, i know) and i refuse to do it. part of the joy of being an adult and having children means i don't have to dress myself up anymore.

Tristen said...

I think this blogging stuff is cathartic for me... I could have written EXACTLY your post on the day you posted it!! This homemaking stuff is crazy! Kids and husbands are the messiest darn things God ever made, but luckily they are cute enough to somehow make it worth it... barely! My life is happiest when I use my iCal (calendar) and plan my menus in advance--makes it easier to shop, plan, cook, etc... without too much effort. Only problem is actually taking the time to plan in advance. So it sometimes does and doesn't get done, but when I do, I plan for months in advance and it is lovely. Seriously, feels so good. But then 5 months later I'm back to nothing and I go without it for at least 3-5 months before I sit down to plan again. Anyways, thanks for the post!

Britney said...

1- The weekends my house becomes a disaster area. It happens EVERY weekend. But, I don't clean on the weekends...so that's why. But also because Dave is home and he adds more to the mess. Don't get me wrong, he helps so much with the kids and such...but something about one more person being home all day with us = mess!

2-I used to have a grand plan with my menu planning. Once a month I would plan out the entire month. Go to the store and get most of everything I needed for the month. Now (since I moved here) I can't get on top of that... So pretty much I fly by the seat of my pants :)

3- Yes, you should be tired :)

4- ???? We were pirates for the ward party...so fun! We missed you!