We spent our first Thanksgiving together, just our own little family of three with another family of three. I had a feeling that when we moved to Texas, it would be extra hard to travel for the holidays, and that we would probably end up spending it here. When we first moved here, I hoped (and sometimes prayed) that we would be able to find friends to have thanksgiving with so we wouldn't be on our own. Well, thank heavens prayers are answered! I was a little sad the day before and morning of.. missing my family, missing cold weather, but we made up for it by keeping with some of the same traditions that my family has always had, and of course Brent got to play his football game with guys in the ward that morning. I heard later that "Brent Guerisoli was the best one out there." Not a surprise to me because I've heard that since I met him, but when people first meet him, it's always fun for me to hear people say how good he is at sports, although it doesn't do much for his big head. Okay, enough blog bragging. After Brent played football, I had organized a turkey trot with a few families who were around to participate, because this is one of the things my family does (see last years turkey trot HERE.) It was a short walk (2 miles) and all the kids got dollar prized, the winner received an Itunes gift card, and I gave all the adults that participated a fiberone bar.. yeah I know, not the most creative prize!
Now onto our dinner...
Alyssa and I had never done thanksgiving on our own before and it was a blast to do it all together. It is amazing how much work it is, and it was good to start out by just having to prepare for four people! The day before we made homemade stuffing (which was probably my favorite part!), yummy cranberry sauce, and we decided to forgo pies and do Cheesecake factory's Pumpkin Cheesecake! I will definitely be making it again. Two days before we brined the turkey and then Alyssa stuffed it and cooked it that morning. They also did the mashed potatoes and gravy and creamed corn. After our turkey trot, we made homemade rolls, which were also wonderful. Then, I brought green beans, my family's pomegranate salad, my aunt rose's "death by yams," (they are not really called that) which consist of tons of butter, a bag of brown sugar, a bottle of REAL maple syrup, and a jar of mrs. richardson's butterscoth caramel, topped with candied pecans and baked in the oven for 4 hours. But they did the trick so I could feel like I was at home!
Alyssa, and I - why did we not get more pictures of us doing all the baking days before??
Alyssa does such a fab job at setting the scene. Look at this beautiful table!
Here is our spread. We had so much leftover food that we split it between the four of us, and Brent and I have been eating it for the past three days and we still have a little left. Thanksgiving leftovers are my favorite.

15 comments:
Wouldn't have been nearly as fun without you guys! Can't wait for next year!!! ;)
Great Job! I don't know if I could do it!! Your table was beautiful!
Hey Bethany! Today there was a visitor in church and she looked a lot like you and it made me miss that it wasn't really you. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!
Looks like you guys had fun! Way to go on all that baking. You are brave, Beth. I'm glad you guys are coming up this way for the Holidays and I know we are all planning on getting together and I'm so excited! Bott is in charge, so we'll see what she decides. Brooke is getting so big, she is so dang cute.
Everything looks really good. Most of all, it cracks me up that you're all in short sleeves and shorts and stuff for the trot - that's never happened! Did everyone think it was cool? Lastly, I did a double take on the group pic b/c you looked so much like mom. I've never thought you looked much like her, but you do there.
I am glad you made it through Thanksgiving. I don't know if I could have done all that.
Wow it looks like you guys had a terrific Thanksgiving. We missed you, but I'm glad to hear your still keeping it real in San Antonio.
Congrats on your first Thanksgiving! You did a great job!
How fun and creative you are with the turkey trot! You're so cute!
We miss you!
K, you guys are amazing. I want to be like you when I grow up! Way to go--I think I still have yet to host TG in this house! (We did have it once with friends in Cincinnati (forever ago), but NO WAY was it as nice as that!)
I am super impressed!
I am SOOO impressed with all the baking you guys did! I would have no idea how to cook a turkey! I'm glad you had someone to spend it with!
Looks like a fun day! I'm totally impressed with the table and all the good-looking food.
Awesome! I am so glad you are making such great friends over there!!
And your spread?! WOWZA! It was beautiful!!
I sure miss you B! It sounds and looks like you had a beautiful Thanksgiving. I am so impressed that you and Alyssa made so many wonderful things! I love that the table looking beautiful is just as important to you as it is me! Craig still doesn't understand why we can't eat Thanksgiving in our pj's! I loved your quick little post about being awake at 2am. Funny. Can't wait to catch up soon and hear about your Christmas party planning. Hope all is well. Love you!
Sound like a nice day. The table settings and food look beautiful. But you do everything beautifully. :) I'm with ya on the warm weather issue--I need some snow!
Post a Comment